There are some accidents that are so bizarre that they seem to be acts of God. Whether it is being struck by a falling piece of space debris or being attacked by a moose, these are stories that you just have to hear to believe. Here are a few freak accidents that will amaze you and make you a little afraid to go outside.
- In July, 2006, a bouncy castle broke free from its moorings and flew through the air on a gust of wind before crashing to the ground. 13 people were seriously injured and 2 died.
- October 16, 1814 a vat of beer at London’s Meux and Company Brewery cracked open. Beer gushing out caused another vat to open and 550,000 gallons (4.4 million pints) poured into the streets of London. The wave of beer destroyed two houses, crumbled the walls of the Tavistock Arms Pub and flooded basements. Eight people drowned.
- On January 15, 1919, a tank of molasses exploded in Boston’s North End. The tank was filled with 2.3 million gallons of molasses. The molasses formed a 25-30 ft. wave going 35 mph, crushing people against large objects and drowning them. The incident caused 21 deaths and 150 injuries.
- One man cut his knuckle while he was working in a Wal-Mart warehouse and he then got necrotizing fasciitis, or flesh eating bacteria.
- One man died when the plastic keg he was cleaning with compressed air exploded. Usually kegs are metal, for good reason.
- Brandon Lee was shot and killed by a malfunctioning blank gun while filming The Crow. The crew initially thought he was still acting.
- Every player on the visiting Bassanga soccer team was killed when they were struck by lightning in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The home team was unhurt.
- Anthony Hensley of Illinois was attacked by a swan, causing him to fall out of his kayak and drown. He was in the kayak to check on the swan, which was placed in the condo-complex pond to deter geese from moving in.
- Paula Smallerton was walking across the street when something struck her head. She immediately fell to the ground, and a small spot of blood appeared on her head. The coroner declared the cause of death had been space debris from a satellite falling to earth.
Now Public Space Debris and the Victim of Circumstance: http://www.nowpublic.com/world/space-debris-and-victim-circumstance
The Huffington Post Moose Attacks in Alaska Prompt Officials to Urge Caution: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/27/moose-attacks-alaska-serial-killer_n_868041.html
Asia one Two Boys Die in Freak Accidents: http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20120907-370124.html
Listverse Top 10 Bizarre Accidents: http://listverse.com/2010/09/18/top-10-bizarre-accidents/
Cracked 5 Bizarre Accidents That Helped Invent Modern Medicine: http://www.cracked.com/article_19149_5-bizarre-accidents-that-helped-invent-modern-medicine_p2.html
Gadling 5 Bizzare Theme Park and Carnival Ride Accidents: http://www.gadling.com/2007/06/05/5-bizarre-theme-park-and-carnival-ride-accidents/
The Telegraph Celebrities in Freak Killings: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/celebritynews/7984944/Mike-Edwards-hay-bale-death-celebrities-in-freak-killings.html
Yahoo Recent Freak Accidents Include Self-Stabbing and Swan Attack: http://screen.yahoo.com/blogs/butterfinger-barmageddon-news-network/recent-freak-accidents-self-stabbing-swan-attack-194739665.html